Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Undefined

As I woke up this morning, I felt empty.  Emptiness felt good.  Empty space to be the breath that carries my body.  The spirit that brings life to the form that is me in this existence.  I floated to the bathroom and brushed my teeth, followed by a pleasant surprise of breakfast waiting for me in the kitchen.  My good friend took the day off to go see a movie with me - Inception.

Since I don't watch much, if any TV these days, I don't generally see commercials much or hear about movies, so I had no idea what Inception was about.  The friend I was seeing it with knows I am a very conceptual thinker, and had a hunch that I would enjoy the movie.

As I am still in a place of emptiness and open to absorb and release what my senses experience, I go into the movie theater and make myself comfortable for the feature.  The movie was filled with abstract concepts and dreams within dreams within dreams.  Subjectivity was the science, and consciousness only told half the story.  Insecurities were explored, unconscious walls broken down, and space made for creation.  The whole concept of the movie was to reach "inception", or to arrive at the beginning; and to return to the end.

When the matrix we are plugged into operates on a largely linear program (i.e. - the bottom of the blog I am typing now says "Draft saved at 12:54 AM"), measuring time as always moving forward and defining reality by law, the circular reality of consciousness seems to be rather... unbelievable (i.e. - it now says "Draft saved at 12:58 AM").  What if reality is not defined simply by law, but also by imagination?  What if reality is imagination?

When we left the movie theater, my friend immediately asked me, "what did you think of the movie?"  I didn't respond.  A few moments passed and I said "I'm still processing".  The truth is I wasn't still processing, but I just didn't want to talk about it.  I didn't want to take a concept that I largely related to and try to bring it down to Earth in this matrix using language to limit and reduce my experience.  I wanted to live in my dream within a dream within a dream.  My inception is undefined.

2 comments:

Rose Brabant said...

I was fortunate enough to see Inception this weekend and I am thankful for the brilliance of it. It's validating. I love this post!

Anonymous said...

you always seem to know how to say things best. unfortunately, i haven't seen the movie itself yet, though i've been looking forward to watching it for a while now. i just didn't make it to the theaters yet.
but all the reactions i hear to that movie are of the same kind. it must be a real piece of art.
once again, you brought it to the point... i always enjoy reading from you.
all the best,
phil